Kindergarten Registration

Kindergarten registration began on Feb. 11, 2016. Parents should go to their neighborhood school as soon as possible to register their child, even if they are applying to attend a school other than their neighborhood school. (Lincoln Prairie is not a neighborhood school). If your child is currently enrolled in the District 54 Early Childhood program and will be going to kindergarten next year you do not need to register your child again.

District 54 offers a free full-day kindergarten program at all of our elementary schools, although options are available for students to attend a half-day program.

Only those children whose fifth birthday falls on or before Sept. 1, 2016, are eligible to enroll in kindergarten for the 2016-17 school year.

Registration Procedures

District 54 offers online registration to expedite the registration process. Please note that while parents and legal guardians can register their children online, they also will need to visit their neighborhood school to present documentation including – but not limited to – proof of residency, an immunization record and an official birth certificate. To register online, click here (we recommend viewing this site using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, or Safari 5 or higher).

Parents and legal guardians can fill out enrollment forms by hand if they choose (see below). The registration packet for new students includes the following:

Additionally, the parent or legal guardian must provide the following information to complete the enrollment process:

  • Student Transfer Form – In Good Standing (for students transferring from one Illinois public school district to another; this form is provided to the parent at the time of withdrawal from previous school)
  • Proof of immunizations (click here for more information)
  • Birth Certificate (original with seal)
  • Proof of residence
  • Phone numbers of people to be contacted in emergencies (neighbors, other family members and work numbers)

For those students who may qualify for special education services in the district, the parents may be referred to our Special Services Department.

Continuing Student Registration

Each spring, parents or guardians are asked to review their child’s information and confirm the child’s intent to return to District 54 in the fall. If you have a parent portal account, you can do that online. If not, you will receive a preprinted registration form.

Consumable Materials Fees

Parents or guardians are required to pay a consumable materials fee by check or money order for each child to cover the cost of workbooks, paper, art supplies, and other items used by students. The cost is $50 for each kindergarten through eighth-grade student. The form is available in the registration packet and below.

Consumable Fee Invoice 2016-17

Consumable Fee Invoice 2016-17 (Spanish)

If you have your child’s student ID number, the consumable materials fees can also be paid on-line by visiting and using your credit card (automatic debit card or checking account payments are not an on-line option).  Please contact your child’s school to pay consumable materials fees by cash, check or money order.

Proof of Residence

Parents, guardians or persons asserting legal custody of new students must provide documented proof of their residence within the boundaries of School District 54.

Provide a copy of at least one of the following documents to prove residency:

  • The most recent real estate tax bill for residence
  • Signed lease for the residence
  • A closing statement for the purchase of your residence
  • Form 891 – Letter of residence in lieu of lease (available at the school when you register), plus a signed lease, closing statement or tax bill from the owner plus two items from the following list from the owner and two from the person residing in the home.

In addition, provide a copy of at least two of the following documents:

  • Driver’s license
  • Gas, electric or telephone bill
  • Public Aid card
  • Voter registration card
  • Home/apartment insurance certificate
  • Automobile registration – State of Illinois
  • Receipt for city vehicle sticker

Any person asserting legal custody over a student, who is not the student’s parent or legal guardian, must complete the Nonparent Custody Form (available at time of registration).

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvement Act requires that homeless children have access to education and other services. Click here for more information.

Transferring from another district

All students new to District 54 should present a transfer form from the school they previously attended. Parents should notify the school secretary of the name and address of the former school and sign a Consent for Release of Information Form so the new school can obtain records from the previous school.

Records must include current physical information and an immunization history. When transferring between schools in Illinois, students must obtain a Student In Good Standing Form, which verifies that the student is in good standing and that his medical records are up-to-date and complete. “In good standing” means that the student is not being disciplined by an out-of-school suspension, and is entitled to attend classes, as of the date of the form.

Transferring within District 54

Parents should notify the school secretary if they move to another location within the district, so that records can be forwarded to the new school and also must prove residency at their new address, following the “Proof of Residence” guidelines above.

Students usually are allowed to finish out the school year in the same school where they started the school year.

Parents must write a letter to Dr. Paul Goldberg, assistant superintendent, for permission. His address is 524 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg, Ill. 60194. Permission may be granted, provided that the parents provide transportation, and that tardiness and absenteeism do not become a problem. Approval is for one year only.

Early Entrance to First Grade

School District 54 follows Illinois School Code which specifies that to enter kindergarten, children must be five years of age by September 1 of their kindergarten year and six years of age by September 1 of their first-grade year. Early Entrance to First Grade may be considered for a child who meets the following criteria:

  1. The child will turn 6 years of age between September 2 and December 31 of his first-grade year.
  2. The child attended a non-public preschool and will complete kindergarten at that same facility.
  3. The child was taught by a teacher with an Illinois Professional Educator License endorsed to teach kindergarten.
  4. The child is a resident of District 54.

If all of the requirements above are met, the parent may request an assessment to determine if the child is eligible for Early Entrance to First Grade. Click here for more information about that process or to request this assessment.