District 54 residents have the opportunity to send their children to their neighborhood school or they may apply to have their children attend one of our schools that offer unique learning opportunities.
If you are interested in learning more about these schools and the programs they offer, join us at our Virtual Open Enrollment Fair, which will be held on Zoom on Wednesday, January 26, 2022. The fair will provide families with information on seven elementary schools in the district. If you cannot attend the live webinar, a recording will be posted to this web page following the presentation. If you have already chosen a school and are ready to begin the application process, please see the steps below.
Open Enrollment Process
- Determine your neighborhood school. If you are unsure of your neighborhood school, visit the District 54 School Boundaries page.
- Register your student at your neighborhood school. For more information on the registration process and a link to the online registration portal, visit the District 54 Registration page. Kindergarten registration for the 2022-23 school year starts Feb. 2, 2022. (If your child is already enrolled in a District 54 school, you can skip step 2.)
- Submit an application (one for each student) to the Open Enrollment program. Applications for each program are due March 4, 2022. Families who apply after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list if there are no openings at the school. If your neighborhood school is an Open Enrollment school, you still need to submit an application to be accepted into the program. Electronic applications are linked below. Paper applications are available at the school.
Information about busing to open enrollment schools, can be found at on our Transportation website.
Open Enrollment Timeline
- January 26, 2022 – Virtual Open Enrollment Fair at 6 p.m. Zoom Link
- February 2, 2022 – Online kindergarten registration begins for families at sd54.org/registration.
- February 22, 2022 – English Learners Kindergarten Information Question and Answer Session – 6:30 p.m. on Zoom
- March 4, 2022 – Deadline for parents to file applications
- March 18, 2022 – Date for schools to send letters inviting parents to attend their school
- April 4, 2022 – Deadline for parents to accept invitation. Email your child’s acceptance to [email protected].
Open Enrollment Programs