District 54 residents can take advantage of the opportunity for open enrollment in District 54. Instead of attending their neighborhood school, students who live in District 54 and are registered to attend District 54 schools can apply to attend one of our schools that offer unique learning opportunities.
NOTE: Dual language and immersion programs will not be offered to students participating in remote learning during the 2021-22 school year. However, students enrolled in an open enrollment school who attend the Virtual Learning Academy in 2021-22 will not lose their spot in the open enrollment program when they return to in-person learning.
Open Enrollment Process
For families new to District 54 or have an incoming kindergartner and are interested in applying to an Open Enrollment school:
- Determine your neighborhood school. If you are unsure of your neighborhood school, visit the District 54 School Boundaries page.
- Register your student at your neighborhood school. For more information on the registration process and a link to the online registration portal, visit the District 54 Registration page.
- Submit an application (one for each student) to the Open Enrollment program you are interested in. Applications for each program are due in March. Families who apply after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list if there are no openings at the school. If your neighborhood school is an Open Enrollment school, you still need to submit an application to be accepted into the program.
If you are a current District 54 family and would like to apply for your current student to attend an Open Enrollment school, you just need to submit an application.
Students must maintain a good attendance record and a pattern of prompt arrival at school to continue attending an open enrollment school. If students cannot arrive at school on time, they will need to enroll at their neighborhood school.
Information about busing to open enrollment schools, can be found at on our Transportation website.
Open Enrollment Timeline
- January 26, 2022 – Open Enrollment Fair at 6 p.m. in the D54 Professional Learning Center
- February 2, 2022 – Online kindergarten registration begins for families at sd54.org/registration.
- March 4, 2022 – Deadline for parents to file applications
- March 18, 2022 – Date for schools to send letters inviting parents to attend their school
- April 4, 2022 – Deadline for parents to accept invitation. Email your child’s acceptance to [email protected].
Open Enrollment Programs