District 54 residents have the opportunity to send their children to their neighborhood school or they may apply to have their children attend one of our schools that offer unique learning opportunities.
If you are interested in learning more about these schools and the programs they offer, you can watch the recording from the Virtual Open Enrollment Fair held on January 26. If you have already chosen a school, please see the application process below.
Open Enrollment Process
- Determine your neighborhood school. If you are unsure of your neighborhood school, visit the District 54 School Boundaries page.
- Register your student at your neighborhood school. For more information on the registration process and a link to the online registration portal, visit the District 54 Registration page. Kindergarten registration for the 2022-23 school year began Feb. 2, 2022. (If your child is already enrolled in a District 54 school, you can skip step 2.)
- Submit an application (one for each student) to the Open Enrollment program. Applications for each program were due March 4, 2022. Families who apply after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list if there are no openings at the school. UPDATE 3-11-22: District 54 still has openings in the Spanish-English Dual Language programs. The application for that program has been left open so we can continue accepting submissions.
- If your neighborhood school is an Open Enrollment school, you still need to submit an application to be accepted into the open enrollment program. Electronic applications are linked below within the Open Enrollment Programs list. Paper applications are available at the school.
Information about busing to open enrollment schools, can be found at on our Transportation website.
Open Enrollment Timeline
- January 26, 2022 – Virtual Open Enrollment Fair Recording
- February 2, 2022 – Online kindergarten registration begins for families at sd54.org/registration.
- March 4, 2022 – Deadline for parents to file applications UPDATE: We are still accepting applications for the Spanish-English Dual Language programs.
- March 18, 2022 – Date for schools to send letters inviting parents to attend their school
- April 4, 2022 – Deadline for parents to accept invitation. Email your child’s acceptance to [email protected].
Open Enrollment Programs
Click each program below to learn more about the program, access videos, FAQs and applications.