Ready to apply and help us fulfill our mission of ensuring the success of the whole child? Please visit the Job Openings page. Teacher substitutes are paid $120 a day, with an increase to $160 a day for long-term substitutes.
Make a Difference in the Life of a Child – Become a Substitute
We are so grateful to the amazing individuals who support our students and our staff by serving as substitute teachers and paraprofessionals.
As a District 54 substitute you will have
- The ability to choose your own schedule;
- Supportive school administrators and staff;
- Professional development opportunities; and
- The opportunity to make a positive difference in students’ lives.
For information on how to obtain your substitute teaching license please visit the ISBE website. For additional questions regarding substituting, contact [email protected] or (847) 357-5082.
Substitute Daily Rates for 2022-23
- Teacher – $120
- Long-Term Teaching Assignment (rate applies on 1st day) – $160
- Paraprofessional/Elementary Crisis Intervention Assistant/Library Resource Associate/School Secretary – $93
- Junior High Crisis Intervention Assistant – $100
- Health Assistant – $26/hour
- Vision and Hearing Screening Sub Rate – $20/hour
Teacher substitutes participate in the Illinois Teachers Retirement System (TRS). Nine percent of all earnings will be sheltered for contribution to TRS. You will not have deductions for Social Security. Public Law 99-272 also requires a mandatory contribution of 1.45 percent of all substitute salaries for Medicare. There is also a deduction for the Teachers Health Insurance Security Fund (THIS). All other substitutes will have deductions made for Social Security, State and Federal income taxes and Medicare.