District 54 has a standardized crisis plan that is reviewed annually with the police and fire departments from Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, Elk Grove Village, Hanover Park and Roselle. Changes are made to our plans as necessary to comply with current best practices and emergency protocols. School principals also review the plan annually for any site-specific updates.
- If a school is placed in a Hold, students and staff will clear the hallways and hold in their classroom or area. Students outside for recess or PE will stay outside. Students and staff will continue their normal routine in their location. We will call a Hold in situations, anytime when we need to keep the hallways clear to attend to an individual, such as a medical emergency. In these instances, we will only be contacting the families of the students affected.
- If a school is in Secure, there is a situation in the community where the police or school officials believe it is safer to move all students inside the school. During Secure, students will continue learning but visitors will not be admitted to the school. Students will not be dismissed at the end of the day until law enforcement has determined it is safe to do so. All families will be notified when the building is in Secure and when Secure has been lifted.
- A Lockdown is called when there is an armed or dangerous individual in the building or a serious situation exists that could jeopardize the safety of students and staff. District 54 would call, text and email parents and guardians. We promise to communicate with you as soon as possible. Please be patient as our first priority will be the safety of our students and staff.
- Shelter is used during a weather situation, such as a tornado warning. Staff will bring students to their designated shelter locations inside the school. All families will be notified when the building is in Shelter and when Shelter has been lifted.
- An Evacuation may be necessary when conditions outside the school are safer than those inside the building, such as a fire or gas leak. All families will be notified, and