District 54 strives to make all students and staff feel welcome, dignified, respected and heard. Fostering diversity, inclusion and equity is an integral part of our core values. We recognize that education can both enhance individuals and strengthen communities.
By supporting an environment that facilitates and encourages safe and open dialogue on diversity, and by empowering our students and staff to embrace their diversity, we are striving to ensure that our students will be equipped to succeed in our diverse world.
All Staff Professional Development
All staff have participated in cultural competency training over the past four years, focused on
- implicit bias,
- culturally responsive teaching strategies and
- facilitating conversations about discrimination with students.
Equity and Inclusion Task Force
However, our work in diversity, equity and inclusion is ongoing. A District 54 Equity Steering Committee has been meeting since August to outline our next steps. A 50-person Equity Task Force, which includes two board members, employees and community members, had its first meeting on Feb. 16. They have been tasked with the following:
- Explore the current organizational inequities that are preventing us from fully achieving our mission of Ensuring Whole Child Success;
- Promote a safe space and opportunity for staff members to share their experiences and perspectives; and
- Recommend actions, strategies and best practices to promote inclusion and whole child success.
All updates will be posted below, so that our work in this area will be open, transparent and shared with the community.
Task Force Updates