The District 54 School Board requires that parents, guardians or people asserting legal custody provide proof of residency within the boundaries of the district to enroll a child in District 54 schools for the first time and every year thereafter during registration. All documents provided must be current and reflect name and address within District 54 boundaries.
For existing families, the district attempts to verify the address information electronically. It that is not possible, you will have the ability to upload your residency electronically through your portal account.
If you do not have a portal account, you can also email the required documents to [email protected].
Provide a copy of at least one of the following documents:
- the most recent real estate tax bill or mortgage statement for residence showing owner as the taxpayer;
- a signed lease for the residence including a beginning and end date; or
- a closing statement for the purchase of the residence.
In addition, provide a current copy of at least two of the following documents:
- driver’s license or State of Illinois ID;
- gas, water, electric, internet, television, telephone bill or letter confirming service connection;
- public assistance documentation;
- voter registration card;
- home or vehicle insurance certificate;
- State of Illinois automobile registration; or
- receipt for local city vehicle sticker where applicable.
Any person asserting legal custody over a student, who is not the student’s parent or legal guardian, must provide current documentation from a court supporting the student custody arrangement.
Students who are in a temporary living situation may attend school in the district pursuant to provisions of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. Learn more about McKinney-Vento.