Kindergarten registration began Feb. 5
Kindergarten registration for the 2020-21 school year started on Wednesday, Feb. 5. Parents and guardians should visit their neighborhood elementary school to register their child (Click here to look up your neighborhood school).
Students in the Early Learning Center who will be going to kindergarten next year, do not need to register your child at this time.
A child whose fifth birthday falls on or before Sept. 1, 2020 is eligible to enroll in kindergarten in 2020.
To expedite the registration process, families are encouraged to start the registration process online. New families can begin registration through our Online Registration link. If you have a student currently enrolled in District 54, you can register through your Infinite Campus Parent Portal account. If you do not have your login, please contact your child’s school.
In either case, parents or guardians will still need to visit their school to present the documentation listed below and sign documents to complete the registration.
Parents or legal guardians must provide the following information to complete the enrollment process at their neighborhood school.
- Printed confirmation of online registration
- Proof of immunizations
- Birth Certificate (original with seal). Official birth certificates are issued by the county clerk in the county in which the child was born. Hospital certificates are not acceptable.
- Proof of residence (details listed below)
Proof of Residence
Families new to District 54 must provide documented proof of their residence within the boundaries of School District 54 at the time of kindergarten registration. Current District 54 families will provide this documentation when registering their current students for the 2020-2021 school year. All documents must be current, valid for 2020-2021, and reflect names and addresses within the boundaries of District 54.
Parents or guardians must provide a copy of at least one of the following documents:
- the most recent real estate tax bill for the residence showing the owner as the taxpayer,
- a signed lease for the residence including a beginning and end date, or
- a closing statement for the purchase of the residence.
They must also provide a copy of at least two of the following documents reflecting a home address within District 54 boundaries:
- Illinois driver’s license,
- gas, water, electric, internet, television, telephone bill or letter confirming service connection,
- public assistance documentation,
- voter registration card,
- home or vehicle insurance certificate,
- Illinois automobile registration, or
- receipt for local city vehicle sticker where applicable.
Any person asserting legal custody over a student, who is not the student’s parent or legal guardian, must provide current documentation from a court supporting the student custody arrangement.
Consumable Materials Fees
Parents or guardians are required to pay a $50 consumable materials fee per student prior to the start of the school year. Payments can be made by credit card through your Parent Portal account or by check or money order at the child’s school. This fee covers the cost of workbooks, paper, art supplies and other items used by students.
For those students who may qualify for special education services in the district, the parents may be referred to our Special Education Department.
District 54 officials can better plan for kindergarten placements if they get most of the registrations on Feb. 5, so parents are urged to register their children for kindergarten on that date. For transportation/boundary questions, call (847) 357-5104. For general questions, call your neighborhood school.