District 54 is pleased to offer beginning instruction on band and orchestra instruments to students entering sixth grade. The District 54 Instrumental Music Program provides students with one weekly lesson during the school day and one weekly after-school band or orchestra rehearsal at their neighborhood junior high. More details about the program are available on the District 54 Instrumental Music Page and in the District 54 Instrumental Music Handbook (PDF).
Students can choose to be in band or orchestra.
- Band instruments are flute, clarinet, trumpet, and trombone.
- Orchestra instruments are violin, viola, and cello.
Students are encouraged to consider the following important points when deciding which instrument to play:
- The sound of the instrument should be pleasing to the student (Play something that you will enjoy hearing yourself practice!)
- ALL songs can be played on ALL instruments.
- Play what you want, not necessarily what your friends will play.
Please take some time to learn about the instruments below.
- Flute – highest sounding band instrument; blow across a hole and push keys to make the sound
- Clarinet – lower sounding than the flute; blow across a reed and push keys to make the sound
- Trumpet – highest sounding brass instrument; buzz into a mouthpiece and push valves to make the sound
- Trombone – lower sounding than the trumpet; buzz into a mouthpiece and move a slide to make the sound
- Violin – highest sounding orchestra instrument; rests under the chin; pluck or bow to make the sound
- Viola – lower sounding than the violin; rests under the chin; pluck or bow to make the sound
- Cello – lowest sounding orchestra instrument; rests on the floor and is held between the knees; pluck or bow to make the sound
- Suitable instrument
- Music book (Essential Elements – Book 1).
- Folding music stand.
There are also required supplies that are specific to each instrument. Please see the District 54 Instrumental Music Handbook for more information.
- During April, current fifth grade students watch a band and orchestra presentation during the school day at their elementary school.
- Parents AND fifth grade students attend an information meeting (via Zoom) hosted by their neighborhood junior high:
- Monday, April 26 – 7:00 PM – Addams Junior High (Zoom link to join)
- Monday, April 26 – 7:00 PM – Mead Junior High (Zoom link to join)
- Tuesday, April 27 – 7:00 PM – Eisenhower Junior High (Zoom link to join)
- Wednesday, April 28 – 7:00 PM – Frost Junior High (Zoom link to join)
- Wednesday, April 28 – 7:00 PM – Keller Junior High (Zoom link to join)
- Parents complete the Enrollment Form by May 14 (link below). A confirmation of enrollment will be sent before the end of the current school year.
- Students begin instruction on an instrument in the fall of sixth grade.
Highly Qualified Music Stores
District 54 Instrumental Music Website
District 54 Instrumental Music Handbook(PDF)
District 54 Instrumental Music Handbook – Spanish(PDF)
We look forward to enrolling our new band and orchestra students! If you have questions, please contact the instrumental music teacher at your elementary school or call 847-357-5138.