For school year 2023-24, District 54 is pleased to offer beginning instruction on band and orchestra instruments to students in fifth grade. The District 54 Instrumental Music Program provides students with one weekly lesson during the school day and one weekly after-school band or orchestra rehearsal at their neighborhood junior high. More details about the program are available on the District 54 Instrumental Music Page and in the District 54 Instrumental Music Handbook (PDF).
Students can choose to be in band or orchestra.
- Band instruments are flute, clarinet, trumpet, and trombone.
- Orchestra instruments are violin, viola, and cello.
Students are encouraged to consider the following important points when deciding which instrument to play:
- The sound of the instrument should be pleasing to the student (Play something that you will enjoy hearing yourself practice!)
- ALL songs can be played on ALL instruments.
- Play what you want, not necessarily what your friends will play.
Please take some time to learn about the instruments
(click on each instrument for a demonstration video)
- Flute – highest sounding band instrument; blow across a hole and push keys to make the sound
- Clarinet – lower sounding than the flute; blow across a reed and push keys to make the sound
- Trumpet – highest sounding brass instrument; buzz into a mouthpiece and push valves to make the sound
- Trombone – lower sounding than the trumpet; buzz into a mouthpiece and move a slide to make the sound
- Violin – highest sounding orchestra instrument; rests under the chin; pluck or bow to make the sound
- Viola – lower sounding than the violin; rests under the chin; pluck or bow to make the sound
- Cello – lowest sounding orchestra instrument; rests on the floor and is held between the knees; pluck or bow to make the sound
- Suitable instrument
- Music book (Essential Elements – Book 1).
- Folding music stand.
There are also required supplies that are specific to each instrument. Please see the District 54 Instrumental Music Handbook (PDF) for more information.
- Band and Orchestra lessons have begun for the 2023-24 school year! Parents of fifth and sixth graders who wish to enroll their child in band or orchestra should contact the instrumental music teacher at their child’s school.
Highly Qualified Music Stores
District 54 Instrumental Music Website
DISTRICT 54 INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC HANDBOOK (PDF)
District 54 Instrumental Music Handbook – Spanish (PDF)
If you have questions, please contact the instrumental music teacher at your elementary school or the instrumental music field leader, Mark Boekenhauer ([email protected]; 847-357-2189).