Brief from the Board Meeting of October 4, 2018
Discussion – Innovate 54 Update:
In September, staff members from across District 54 participated in the Innovate 54 professional development session, discussing various topics within the broad area of innovation. Specifically, they heard an overview of the Innovate 54 scope of work and plans for the Discovery Education STEM Leader Corps training this winter; and learned about tight instructional expectations and growth opportunities in District 54. The teams also examined core components to innovation in instructional design including redefining relationships in the classroom, incorporating “deep learning” tasks that extend the learning experience into the real world, and using technology to accelerate learning. Each Innovate 54 team created a school-specific Vision for Innovated Teaching and Learning and developed a communication plan to share the information with the rest of their school faculty.
At the next Innovate 54 sessions in October, participants will focus on technology’s role in augmenting instructional design. Teams will received training on using iPads to document student progress, the district’s new virtual and augmented reality labs, and interactive monitors. They will also spend time discussing Makerspaces and learning space design.
Public Comment: No one asked to speak.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA): One request was received and responded to since the last meeting regarding pension salaries for teachers.
Consent Agenda: The School Board approved the following items on the Consent Agenda.
- The minutes of the regular and closed-session meetings of Thursday, September 20, 2018
- Resignations, retirement and employment of personnel
- Checks dates September 28, 2018
- The Board had the first reading of revisions to Policy 2:140(a) – Communications To and From Board.
- The School Board thanked the businesses and organizations who continue to donate to the District 54 Education Foundation to support breakfast programs at our schools for students from financially struggling families.
- The Board also thanked all the participants, volunteers and others who supported the District 54 Run to Read on Sept. 23.
- Board members also expressed appreciation to the families who attended conferences this week and the staff members for making connections with their students’ families.
Adjournment: The Board adjourned at 7:30 p.m. to closed session for appointment/employment matters.