Public Hearing on the Adoption of the 2015-16 Budget: No one asked to speak.
Recognition of Special Olympians and Volunteers
Public Comment: A Schaumburg resident questioned the district’s process for checking residency of District 54 students.
Freedom of Information Act Requests: There has been one request since the last board meeting related to the bids for classroom paper supplies, custodial cleaning products and paper and art supplies.
- Minutes of the regular meeting on July 16, 2015
- Resignations, leaves, salary adjustments and employment of personnel
- Re-employment of one employee who had received a dismissal notice
- Checks dated July 10 and 24, and Aug. 7, 2015
- Treasurer’s report on cash and investments for June 2015
- Approval of the Medicaid billing agent
- The purchase of property, casualty and liability insurance for 2015-16
- Continuation of School District 54’s membership in the Consortium for Educational Change (CEC)
- Continuation of School District 54’s membership in the Elk Grove Chamber of Commerce
- Continuation of School District 54’s membership in the Hanover Park Chamber of Commerce
- Continuation of School District 54’s membership in the Hoffman Estates Chamber of Commerce
- Continuation of School District 54’s membership in the Midwest Principals’ Center
- Continuation of School District 54’s membership in the Schaumburg Business Association
- Continuation of School District 54’s membership in the Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB)
- Continuation of School District 54’s membership in the National School Boards Association (NSBA)
- The submittal of 19 additional safety hazard bus findings for 2015-16
- The destruction of the verbatim records of the closed-session meetings held on Jan. 23 and Feb. 6, 2014 for which approved minutes already exist
Superintendent’s Report: Superintendent Andrew DuRoss recognized staff for all the work they have done this summer to prepare for the first day of school for students on August 24. Specifically, DuRoss thanked the Department of Student Learning for its involvement in New Teacher Induction Week last week, student enrichment programs this summer and the Special Education Institute this week. He also thanked the Business Operations Department for ensuring all 28 schools will be ready to welcome back our students next week.
Foundation Report: Board Member Teresa Huber thanked everyone who attended the rescheduled golf outing. Upcoming Foundation events include Septemberfest parking on September 5 and 6 and the California Pizza Kitchen fundraiser on Sept. 16.
PTA Report: PTA Council President Sue Budak said the PTA has also been busy this summer reviewing plans of work, developing a draft budget and planning for picture day at our schools. The first PTA Council meeting of the year will be held on Sept. 2 and the fall general meeting will be held on Oct. 6 along with a parent education presentation on safety in our schools.
- The Board adopted the 2015-16 budget. The detailed budget can be found on our BoardDocs website.
- The Board adopted a resolution directing staff to begin preparing the 2016-17 budget in tentative form.
- The Board approved Kim Phelan as the new assistant principal for Mead Junior High School.
- The Board approved Megan Ankrom as the new assistant principal for Blackwell and Hoover.
- The Board approved Holly Schlicher as the new assistant principal for Hale and Stevenson.
Announcements: Board members who visited schools today, the first day of school for many District 54 school employees, announced that the energy from the staff and PTA was inspiring.
Adjournment: The Board adjourned at 8:20 p.m. to closed session for employment/appointment matters and for business matters.