District 54 School Board honors teachers with 1,000-book classrooms
A significant body of research states that the more children read the better readers they become. Our goal in District 54 is for every classroom to have 1,000 books in order to meet the wide range of abilities and interests of the children. With this in mind, we embarked on a campaign in 2006 to fill the bookshelves in each of our rooms. With new teachers joining our district every year, our commitment is ongoing.
Although District 54’s SuperKids: Powered by Books Committee raises funds to buy books for teachers, many of the teachers being recognized have assembled these large classroom libraries on their own – by purchasing the books themselves, scouring garage sales, placing Scholastic book orders, receiving some as gifts, etc.
These teachers listed below join 290 other District 54 teachers who had previously been recognized for achieving this milestone – for a grand total of 303 teachers.
- Christina Beck from Early Learning Center
- Megan Larsen from Early Learning Center
- Dawn Marshall from Early Learning Center
- Kristin Peterson from Early Learning Center
- Natasha Sharma from Blackwell Elementary School
- Lauren Nicoll from Campanelli Elementary School
- Kristin Johnson from Churchill Elementary School
- Jill Peterson from Churchill Elementary School
- Andrea Smith from Hoover Math and Science Academy
- Courtney Battaglia from Lakeview Elementary School
- Megan Maize from Lakeview Elementary School
- Jamie Logan from Link Elementary School
- Jenna Carlson from Stevenson Elementary School