Brief from the Board Meeting on July 12
Public Comment: No one asked to speak.
FOIA Requests: One request was received and replied to since the last report to the School Board regarding the superintendent’s contract.
Consent Agenda: The School Board approved the following items on the Consent Agenda.
- Minutes of the regular and closed-session Board of Education meeting on June 21, 2018
- Resignations and employment of personnel
- Checks dated June 22, 2018
- The treasurer’s report on cash and investments for May 2018
- The monthly update of revenues and expenditures for June 2018
- The purchase of software licensing and support
President of the Board Report: Board President Mary Kay Prusnick announced that Board Secretary Bob Kaplan is celebrating his second year on the board and Board Vice President Charlotte Kegarise is celebrating her 25th anniversary. Kegarise is the longest serving board member in District 54 history.
District 54 Education Foundation Report: Board Secretary Bob Kaplan thanked Patrick Dealer Group for donating $2,500 to the Foundation’s Food for Thought breakfast program for students from financially struggling families. The Foundation will be parking cars at Collins School on Saturday and Sunday of Labor Day weekend during the Village of Schaumburg’s Septemberfest to raise additional funds for Foundation programming.
- The Board approved revisions to the following policies:
- 5:410 – Employee Benefits for Employee Groups Not Covered by Negotiated Agreements,
- 6:155 – Home Tutoring for Expelled Students,
- 7:30(a) – Assignment of Students to Schools and
- 7:340(a) – Student Records.
- The Board approved an intergovernmental agreement with the Village of Hoffman Estates for a School Resource Officer (SRO) for the 2018-2021 school years.
- The Board approved an intergovernmental agreement with the Village of Schaumburg for two School Resource Officers (SROs) for the 2018-2021 school years.
- The Board approved Nicholas & Associates to act as the construction manager for the addition of eight rooms at Link Elementary School.
- The Board had a first reading of the following policies:
- 6:60 – Basic Instructional Program (revised),
- 6:135 – Accelerated Placement Policy (new),
- 7:180 – Prevention of and Response to Bullying (revised) and
- 7:360 – Entrance Age (revised).
- Board members participated in the Hoffman Estates Fourth of July Parade.
- The Board commented on the additions at Churchill and Dirksen, noting it’s amazing how fast the construction is progressing and praising the video updates posted on social media.
Adjournment: The Board adjourned at 7:30 p.m. to closed session for employment/appointment matters and business matters.