Brief from the Board Meeting on Feb. 1
Discussion – Health Curriculum Task Force Update:
This school year a 50-member Health Task Force examined the curriculum for kindergarten through eighth grade to ensure that they align with the Illinois Learning Standards for Physical Development and Health. The standards emphasize lifelong wellness, the physical and emotional well-being of students, cooperation and teamwork, and the brain-body connection.
The task force developed coherent units of instruction that promote student mastery of the standards and are aligned to the new draft District 54 goal, which states that “District 54 will ensure the success of the whole child by providing comprehensive approaches and programming grounded in the belief that each child deserves to be Healthy, Safe, Engaged, Supported and Challenged.”
The task force recommends resources from Health World Education to support instruction. These resources are aligned to the state standards and provide great opportunities for activities at home that allow for enhanced parental involvement. Upon approval by the School Board, teacher training on integrating the Health World Education resources would begin this spring.
Public Comment: No one asked to speak.
Freedom of Information Act Requests: District 54 received and replied to one FOIA request since the last board meeting, relating to invoices and test reports for backflow tests and repairs in 2017.
Consent Agenda: The School Board approved the following items on the Consent Agenda.
- Minutes of the regular and closed-session School Board meetings on Jan. 18, 2018.
- Resignations, retirements, termination and employment of personnel
- Checks dated Jan. 19, 2018
- The School Board approved revisions to the following policies:
- 1:60 – Prohibition of Sexual Harassment,
- 1:70 – Standard District Complaint Investigation,
- 6:235 – Acceptable Use of the Internet and
- 8:140 – Distribution of Political Materials.
- Board members thanked the staff members who attended the Open Enrollment Fair and spoke so enthusiastically and knowledgeably about our district and the programs we offer.
- The Board also applauded the performances of the District 54 and High School District 211 bands at their joint performance Jan. 31 at Hoffman Estates High School.
Adjournment: The Board adjourned at 7:29 p.m. to closed session for employment/appointment matters.