Brief from the School Board meeting on Sept. 7, 2017
Discussion – District 54 Communication Plan:
School District 54 is committed to connecting with families, staff and the community in support of the district’s mission to ensure student success. We have developed a variety of communication tools to serve both our internal audiences (students, employees, parents, the School Board) and our external audiences (community members, businesses, local organizations, elected officials and other educational professionals).
In developing the Communications and Public Relations Plan for the 2017-18 school year, we examined what makes District 54 unique. The answer is the people in District 54 – the students, the staff, the parents and the community – who are committed to the academic and social-emotional success and well-being of children. District 54 has begun using the message “We Are 54” as we highlight the work of the individuals who make us successful.
In addition to that message, the district created three communication goals that will guide our work in 2017-18:
- Continue to enhance communication between the school district and the parents of our students by enhancing the quality of district communication and increasing the quantity of messages.
- Continue to improve internal communication by involving staff in sharing district news and celebrating staff contributions and efforts.
- Establish District 54 as an expert/authority/leader in education locally, in Illinois and nationally, and in doing so enhance the narrative about public education as a whole.
Public Comment: No one asked to speak.
Freedom of Information Act Requests: District 54 received and replied to two FOIA requests since the last board meeting, relating to email addresses and records related to boilers.
Consent Agenda: The School Board approved the following items on the Consent Agenda.
- Minutes of the regular and closed-session School Board meeting on August 10, 2017
- Resignations, leaves, retirement, salary adjustments and employment of personnel
- Checks dated August 4 and 18, 2017
- The purchase of software licensing and support
- Approval of Nicholas & Associates to oversee 2018 construction projects
- Board members participated in the Septemberfest parade on Monday and enjoyed listening to the District 54 musicians who performed at the fest.
- The Board thanked the District 54 Foundation who hosted a food tent on not-for-profit day and parking cars at Collins School this weekend to raise funds to support District 54 students. They also thanked the many volunteers who supported these efforts. There are additional opportunities to support the Foundation this month, which are posted on the new Foundation website at http://d54foundation.org.
- The Board also reminded everyone that the district’s annual Run to Read will be held on Sunday, Sept. 24. Visit our website at http://sd54.org/runtoread for more information.
Adjournment: The Board adjourned at 7:36 p.m. to closed session for employment/appointment matters, legal matters and the semi-annual review of minutes of closed-session meetings.