Brief for the School Board meeting on May 18, 2017
- The Board presented Above and Beyond Awards to nine students who won this year’s District 54 Battle of the Books competition.
- The Board presented Above and Beyond Awards 24 students who won this year’s District 54 Spanish Speech Contest.
- The Board presented an Ambassador for Excellence Award to Mead student Peter Baffoe, who took first place in the You Be the Chemist regional competition.
- The Board presented an Ambassador for Excellence Award to Frost student Callie Bessemer, who received the Schaumburg Youth Volunteer of the Year Award.
- The Board presented Ambassador for Excellence Awards to Addams students Holt Eftefield and Anand Krishnan, who qualified for the National History Bee Finals.
- The Board presented Ambassador for Excellence Awards to 21 Mead students who qualified for the 2017 Illinois History Day state competition.
- The Board presented Ambassador for Excellence Awards to Keller, Mead and Stevenson students who were chosen to participate in TECH 2017 at the State Capitol Building in Springfield.
- The Board presented Ambassador for Excellence Awards to three Churchill students and seven staff members who received Distinguished Service Awards from the Illinois chapter of the National School Public Relations Association.
- The Board presented an Ambassador for Excellence Award to School Resource Officer Krzysztof Kowal, who received the Hoffman Estates Lifesaving Award for saving a young child’s life in March 2016.
For the names of all the individuals honored this evening, click here.
Public Comment: No one asked to speak.
Freedom of Information Act: There has been one FOIA request since the last board meeting related to the classroom furnishings bid.
Consent Agenda: The School Board approved the following items on the Consent Agenda.
- Minutes of the regular school board meeting on May 4, 2017
- Resignations, salary adjustments and employment of personnel
- Checks dated April 28, 2017
- The treasurer’s report on cash and investments for March 2017
- The monthly update of revenues and expenditures for April 2017
- The voluntary parent-purchased student accident insurance plan for the 2017-18 school year
- The purchase of custodial cleaning products and paper products for the 2017-18 school year
- The purchase of classroom and art paper supplies for the 2017-18 school year
- A resolution requesting free transportation for students due to approved hazardous conditions for the 2017-18 school year
- Preapproval authorization for a two- or three-year extension of the electricity services contract
Superintendent’s Report: Superintendent Andy DuRoss updated the Board on MAP testing delays caused by power outages at two schools, as well as a delay so that the district could ensure all computers were protected from the latest ransomware outbreak. The district delayed testing in order to give students an ideal testing environment. He also thanked staff, parents and students for a fantastic school year.
Board President’s Report: Board President Mary Kay Prusnick thanked Superintendent DuRoss and Cabinet for today’s presentation at Committee of the Whole meeting. She announced that junior high graduations will be May 30 and 31.
District Citizens’ Advisory Committee Report: Board Member Barbara Hengels announced that DCAC received an update on digital learning in District 54.
Legislative Networking Report: Board Secretary Bob Kaplan reported that the Illinois Senate approved Senate Bill 1, which would change the school funding formula, and Senate Bill 16 related to pension reform. Both bills will now be sent to the Illinois House. The current session ends May 31.
District 54 Education Foundation: Board Secretary Bob Kaplan announced that the Foundation will host a Boomers Night on June 2 and a golf outing on June 12. Click here for more information.
- The School Board approved the appointment of Charlotte Kegarise to serve as the District 54 representative to the Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB) Governing Board.
- The School Board approved the appointment of additional representatives to serve on the District Citizens’ Advisory Committee for the 2017-18 school year.
- The School Board approved the appointment of Carol Novak as the assistant principal for Churchill Elementary School and Lincoln Prairie School for the 2017-18 school year.
- The School Board approved the appointment of Heidy LaFleur as the principal of the MacArthur International Spanish Academy for the 2017-18 school year.
- Board members announced that they enjoyed attending the District 54 Track and Field competition, Dooley’s 50-year celebration, the District 54 Special Olympics Sports Day, the District 54 Multicultural Event, the PTA Scholarship/Recognition Dinner, the Einstein Family Walk/Run and MacArthur’s presentation of 101 Dalmatians KIDS.
- They are looking forward to attending the District 54 Rocket Launch on May 22 and 23.
Adjournment: The School Board adjourned at 8:26 p.m. to closed session to discuss student disciplinary cases.