Brief for the School Board meeting on April 6, 2017
Discussion – Report Card Committee Update:
The District 54 Report Card Committee includes administrators and teachers representing all grade levels and content areas who have been meeting this school year to evaluate and recommend changes to the district’s existing report cards. The committee recommended the following revisions:
- Updating grade-level and content-area standards to align to new state standards and curriculum updates;
- Aligning the report card social/emotional learning descriptors to PBIS (Be Responsible, Be Respectful and Be Safe);
- Providing electronic access to report cards through Infinite Campus; and
- Updating the front cover to provide greater clarity for parents.
The new report cards will be introduced in the 2017-18 school year.
Public Comment: No one asked to speak.
Freedom of Information Act: There have been three FOIA requests since the last board meeting related to the custodial supplies bid, demographic kindergarten student and teacher data, and the summer 2017 site improvements bid.
- Minutes of the regular board meeting on March 16, 2017
- Resignations, leaves, termination and retirement of personnel
- Checks dated March 17, 2017
- The purchase of technology equipment, software licensing and support
- Summer 2017 curriculum writing projects
- A recommendation authorizing the Village of Hanover Park to waive the school impact fees for a senior housing development
- The Board had the first reading of revisions to the following board policies:
- Employee Benefits for Employee Groups Not Covered by Negotiated Agreements – 5:410
- Student Absences and Homework – 7:370
- Prohibition of Electronic Communication or Entertainment Devices and Cellular Phones – 7:390
- Supervision of Students – 7:400
- Interrogation of Students – 7:410
- The Board congratulated Bob Kaplan, Charlotte Kegarise, Jim Pye and Ken Van Dyke who were elected to the school board on April 4.
Adjournment: The Board adjourned at 7:28 p.m.