Brief for the School Board meeting on March 16, 2017
- The Board recognized Aidan Lerma, a Hanover Highlands student, who will receive the 2017 Outstanding Student Technology Award from Infinitec in April.
- The Board recognized Fox teachers Courtney Bainbridge, Sue Hindenburg and Kara Morgan who received the Hanover Park Educator of the Year Award.
- The Board recognized second-graders Clara Emerick from Lakeview and Sai Jasmitha Palla from Churchill who qualified for the PTA Reflections National Competition.
- The Board also recognized an additional 33 District 54 students who qualified for the PTA Reflections state competition, including Alexander Jacobs, Aaron Alukkal and Monika Narain who received honorable mentions at state.
Public Comment: No one asked to speak.
Freedom of Information Act: There have been three FOIA requests since the last board meeting related to candidate filing, treasurer’s and budget report, an interior renovations project and information related to an employee who doesn’t work in District 54.
Consent Agenda: The School Board approved the following items on the Consent Agenda.
- Minutes of the regular and closed-session school board meetings on March 2, 2017
- Resignations, retirement and employment of personnel
- A resolution authorizing notice of honorable dismissal to some nontenured personnel
- The Staffing Plan for the 2017-18 school year
- Checks dated March 3, 2017
- The treasurer’s report on cash and investments for January 2017
- The monthly update of revenues and expenditures for February 2017
- The purchase of writing materials
- The purchase of classroom magazine subscriptions
- The purchase of math instructional materials
- The purchase of science instructional materials
- A contract for site improvements at nine locations
- A contract for masonry remediation at eight locations
- The release of minutes from closed-session board meetings held on seven dates in 2016 and 2017
- The destruction of the verbatim records of the closed-session board meetings held on August 20 and Sept. 3, 2015, for which approved minutes already exist
Superintendent’s Report: Superintendent Andy DuRoss thanked employees who participated in an audit from the Regional Office of Education last week. This compliance visit occurs every five years.
District Citizens’ Advisory Committee Report: Board Member Barbara Hengels announced that DCAC heard a report from Superintendent DuRoss on the impact of positive psychology.
Legislative Networking Committee: Board Member Bob Kaplan reported that he attended the Alliance Leadership Summit in February in Springfield with Superintendent DuRoss and Assistant Superintendent Ric King. The summit was an opportunity for leaders in public education to discuss school funding reform and other measures that could impact public schools; and to engage state legislators.
PTA Report: PTA Council President Sue Budak thanked everyone who attended the PTA Auction; the money raised will be used to fund elementary and high school scholarships. The PTA Scholarship Dinner will be held on May 10.
- The School Board approved the before- and after-school child care facilities’ fee rates for 2017-2018 (no change from 2016-17).
- The School Board approved the facility usage fee rates for 2017-2018.
- The School Board approved the consumable materials fee of $50 for 2017-2018 (no change from 2016-17).
- The School Board approved the milk fee rates for 2017-2018 of 25 cents for students and 30 cents for adults (no change from 2016-17).
- The School Board approved the parent-paid student transportation fee rates for 2017-2018, which start at $475 for one child (no change from 2016-17).
- The School Board approved revisions to the following board policies: Vehicle Accident Procedures – 4:110(c), Acceptable Use of the Internet – 6:235, Student Searches – 7:140(b) and Proof of Residence – 7:60(a).
- The School Board approved a resolution regarding board member and employee expenses to accompany Board Policy 2:125 – Regulation of Travel, Meal and Lodging Expenses.
- The School Board approved an agreement for professional development for the 2017-18 school year.
- The School Board appointed Ed Garza as the assistant principal of Mead Junior High School for the 2017-18 school year.
- The School Board appointed C.J. Schmid as the assistant principal of Frost Junior High School for the 2017-18 school year.
- The School Board appointed Colleen Conway as the assistant principal of Campanelli and Fox elementary schools for the 2017-18 school year.
- The School Board appointed Bob Wroblewski as the assistant principal of Dirksen and Dooley elementary schools for the 2017-18 school year.
- The School Board appointed Sonia Esquivel as the assistant principal of Enders-Salk and MacArthur elementary schools for the 2017-18 school year.
- The School Board appointed Carrie Azab as the assistant principal of Hanover Highlands Elementary School for the 2017-18 school year.
- Board members are looking forward to attending Annie at Lincoln Prairie and Bye Bye Birdie at Addams this week.
- PTA Council President Sue Budak announced the PTA is hosting a District 54 School Board Candidates’ Forum at 7 p.m. March 20.
Adjournment: The School Board adjourned at 8:31 p.m.