District 54 to hold kindergarten registration on Feb. 9
District 54 will hold kindergarten registration for the 2017-18 school year on Thursday, Feb. 9, 2017. Registration will take place from 9 to 11 a.m., 1 to 2:30 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. at all elementary schools. Parents should go to their neighborhood school to register their child, even if they are applying to attend a school other than their neighborhood school. (Lincoln Prairie is not a neighborhood school). If your child is currently enrolled in the District 54 Early Childhood program and will be going to kindergarten next year you do not need to register your child again. District 54 offers a free full-day kindergarten program at all of our elementary schools, although options are available for students to attend a half-day program.
A child whose fifth birthday falls on or before Sept. 1, 2017, is eligible to enroll in kindergarten in 2017. District 54 follows the Illinois regulations and does not admit students whose birth date is after Sept. 1.
District 54 offers online registration to expedite the registration process (http://sd54.org/registration). However, parents or guardians will still need to visit their school to present documentation. Parents or guardians can visit their neighborhood school and fill out these enrollment forms by hand if they prefer.
The registration packet for new students includes the following documents:
- Student Enrollment Form,
- Family Census Form,
- Proof of Residency Form,
- Home Language Survey and
- Invoice for Consumable Materials Fee.
Additionally, the parent or legal guardian must provide the following information to complete the enrollment process.
- Proof of immunizations
- Birth Certificate (original with seal). Official birth certificates are issued by the county clerk in the county in which the child was born. Hospital certificates are not acceptable.
- Proof of residence (details listed below)
- Phone numbers of people to be contacted in emergencies (neighbors, other family members and work numbers)
Consumable Materials Fees
Parents or guardians are required to pay a $50 consumable materials fee by check or money order for each child to cover the cost of workbooks, paper, art supplies, and other items used by students.
Proof of Residence
Parents, guardians or people asserting legal custody of new students must provide documented proof of their residence within the boundaries of School District 54.
They must provide a copy of at least one of the following documents:
- the most recent real estate tax bill for residence showing owner as the taxpayer,
- a signed lease for the residence including a beginning and end date,
- a closing statement for the purchase of the residence, or
- District 54 Form 891, Letter of Residency in Lieu of Lease, from the owner of the residence indicating the duration of the student’s stay there, plus a signed lease, closing statement or tax bill from the owner of the residence.
They must also provide a copy of at least two of the following documents reflecting a home address within District 54 boundaries:
- Illinois driver’s license,
- gas or electric bill,
- Public Aid card,
- voter registration card,
- home/apartment insurance certificate,
- Illinois automobile registration,
- telephone bill or letter from telephone company, or
- receipt for local city vehicle sticker where applicable.
Anyone asserting legal custody over a student, who is not the student’s parent or legal guardian, must complete a signed and notarized statement at the time of registration.
For those students who may qualify for special education services in the district, the parents may be referred to our Special Education Department.
The registration process takes about 30 minutes. Parents will fill out entrance materials, and will be given physical examination forms and general school information. More information and some of the registration forms can be found on our website at http://sd54.org/registration.
District officials can better plan for kindergarten placements if they get most of the registrations on Feb. 9, so parents are urged to register their children for kindergarten on that date. For transportation/boundary questions: call (847) 357-5104. For general questions: call (847) 357-5043.