Board Brief for Dec. 15, 2016
Recognition – Ambassadors for Excellence:
- The School Board presented Ambassador for Excellence Awards to 20 students who participated in the annual Special Olympics Illinois/Unified Champion Schools Youth Activation Summit in November.
- The School Board also recognized six District 54 students who were part of the state-wide Youth Activation Committee that planned the Summit and gave all of the presentations.
- The School Board honored Chery Hinchey, a teacher at Mead Junior High School, for receiving the 2016 SPARK Teacher of the Year Award from the Chicago Metro History Center.
Public Comment: No one asked to speak.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA): There has been one FOIA request since the last board meeting related to the names and email addresses of retiring teachers and administrators.
Consent Agenda: The School Board approved the following items on the Consent Agenda.
- Minutes of the regular and closed-session board meetings on December 1, 2016
- Resignations, leaves, employment and salary adjustments of personnel
- Checks dated November 25, 2016
- The monthly update of revenues and expenditures for November 2016
- The treasurer’s report on cash and investments for October 2016
- The purchase of the Benchmark Advance, Benchmark Adelante and Pearson myPerspectives literacy curricular resources.
- The destruction of the verbatim records of the closed-session board meetings held on May 21 and June 4, 2015 for which approved minutes already exist
Superintendent’s Report: Superintendent Andy DuRoss wished the District 54 community a happy holidays, adding that he is looking forward to the great work the district will do in 2017.
PTA Report: PTA Council President Sue Budak announced that the PTA Council hosted a Reflections show on Nov. 30 to highlight the 304 student projects submitted. Of those, 107 projects advanced to regional level. The Illinois PTA and the Schaumburg Township Council of PTAs both have scholarship applications available.
- The School Board approved revisions to the following policies: Assignment of Students to Schools – 7:30 (a) and Student Behavior – 7:190.
- The School Board approved a second amendment to the contract for the sale of the Thacker Street and Verde Drive Property to DRH Cambridge Homes, Inc., extending the feasibility period to Jan. 20, 2017.
- The Board thanked the Business Operations employees who gave up their weekends and evenings to clear the parking lots and sidewalks of snow to keep students and staff safe.
- Board members recognized the staff who organized the basketball tournament earlier this month, and the students who played in the games.
- The Board praised members of Mission Church and staff from Fox and Hanover Highlands elementary schools for their generosity at the Holiday Gift Mart in support of our families.
- Board members added that the principal emails to families these past few weeks have been filled with news of charitable activities conducted by District 54 students and staff to support each other and the community at large.
Adjournment: The School Board adjourned at 7:30 p.m.