The mission of the District 54 Physical Education Department is to empower all students to choose to live active, healthy lifestyles by providing positive and rewarding experiences.
The physical education program offered in School District 54 is developmentally appropriate and aligned with Illinois Learning Standards for physical education. The physical education units are designed to give students a well-rounded curriculum and experience that integrates physical skills, promotes social development through cooperation and teamwork, and provides healthy fitness opportunities that will encourage a lifetime of enjoyable participation in physical activity.
Our overall objective is to develop attitude, skill and knowledge in each student that will result in good physical, social, emotional and mental health.
The goals of physical education are
- to help students gain early success in the basic physical skills and concepts. Some of these skills include body and spatial awareness, locomotor movements, jumping and landing, balancing, rolling, chasing, fleeing, dodging, dribbling, kicking, throwing, catching, volleying and striking;
- to promote a healthy lifestyle for students;
- to increase each student’s ability to cooperate and demonstrate good sportsmanship toward others;
- to increase competence and confidence in each student’s movements and fitness levels;
- to teach students the importance of fitness; and
- to help students develop an acceptable level of fitness by involving them in regular, vigorous activity.