The Schaumburg Township Council of PTAs is once again offering one-year $2,000 scholarships to eligible seniors graduating in 2011. There are three types of scholarships:
- Junior College/Trade School/Vocational School Scholarships for seniors graduating in the upper 50 percent of their class (up to two available);
- Four-Year College/University Scholarships for seniors graduating in the upper 30 percent of their class (up to nine available); and
- The Bonnie Greenberg Memorial Scholarship for a graduating special needs senior with a current Individualized Education Plan (IEP). The student need not be enrolled in special education classes, but must have a current IEP (one available).
All seniors who meet the following eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply:
- Attended a District 54 elementary school for a minimum of one year;
- Attended a District 54 junior high school for two years; and
- Will attend an accredited university, college, junior college, trade school or vocational school upon graduation.
The Schaumburg Township Council of PTAs is not looking for straight-A students, but rather well rounded, hard-working students involved in extracurricular activities at school and in the community.
Applications are available at the Schaumburg Township Council of PTAs website at http://pta.sd54.org/high-school-scholarship. Students can also pick up applications at all District 211 high schools, St. Viator High School, the Illinois Math & Science Academy and the District 54 Administration Office, 524 E. Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg, beginning Dec. 8, 2010.
Completed applications are due to the High School Student Services Offices or the District 54 Administration Office no later than 3 p.m. on Jan. 27, 2011. Recipients will be honored at the annual PTA Scholarship Recognition Dinner on May 4, 2011.