Please click here for the Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting on May 17, 2012
- YMCA CEO Gary Bublitz recognized Assistant Superintendent Debbie Ancona for her leadership role in the Schaumburg Pioneering Healthy Communities Initiative, more commonly known as Schaumburg CAN (Children – Activity – Nutrition).
- A Schaumburg resident thanked Board Vice President Charlotte Kegarise for the time she took to speak to him about pensions and said he believes all school boards must stop large end-of-year salary increases.
- A Schaumburg resident thanked District 54 for a wonderful experience in the district for his three children as the youngest graduated from District 54 this year.
Freedom of Information Act Requests:
District 54 received 23 requests since the last board meeting with most related to bids and contracts for custodial cleaning and paper supplies, summer moving, sealcoating, masonry, paving, classroom paper, art supplies, plastic liners, physical education supplies, Project Lead the Way structural modifications, classroom supplies, office supplies, taxi services and improvement projects at three schools. There were also requests for contracts and payroll for work done by North Suburban Asphalt Maintenance, check registries for January through May 2012, contracts exceeding $25,000, the price proposal from Frontline Placement Technologies and board policies with a legal reference to the Children’s Mental Health Act of 2003.
Consent Agenda – The School Board approved the following items on the Consent Agenda:
- Minutes of the regular and closed-session meetings on May 17, 2012
- Resignations, leaves, salary adjustments and employment of personnel
- Re-employment of five employees who had received dismissal notices
- Checks dated May 18 and June 1, 2012
- Monthly update of revenues and expenditures for May 2012
- Treasurer’s report on cash and investments for April 2012
- Prevailing wage rates for 2012-13
- The purchase of art supplies for the 2012-13 school year
- The purchase of classroom paper for the 2012-13 school year
- The purchase of custodial cleaning and paper supplies for the 2012-13 school year
- The purchase of classroom furnishings for the 2012-13 school year
- The installation of an upgraded audio/visual infrastructure at the District Office
- The purchase of technology equipment and software licensing
- A resolution to reappoint Ric King as treasurer and Darlene Russo as assistant treasurer for the period 2012-2014
- The ratification of the Schaumburg Education Association (SEA) contract
- The ratification of the Schaumburg Educational Employees’ Organization (SEEO) Contract
Superintendent’s Report: Superintendent Ed Rafferty thanked the more than 400 staff members who attended District 54′s two-day Professional Development Symposium last week. He spoke to how busy other departments are during the summer hiring new employees, running summer school programs and buses, pouring over assessment results and refurbishing our schools and grounds.
Report of the President of the Board of Education: President Teresa Huber congratulated Assistant Superintendent Ric King who has been named CFO of the year by the Daily Herald Business Ledger.
Foundation Report: Board Member Bill Harper thanked everyone who attended, volunteered at or sponsored the Foundation’s golf outing on June 11. They raised almost $28,000.
- The School Board approved the 2012-13 tentative budget.
- The School Board approved a resolution calling for a public hearing on the 2012-13 budget at 7 p.m. August 16, 2012.
- The School Board appointed an additional representative to serve on the District Citizens’ Advisory Committee (DCAC) for the 2012-13 school year.
- The School Board had the first reading of recommendations from the Policy Committee to delete 29 policies and revise three policies.
- The School Board appointed Maribeth Kanoon as principal of Einstein Elementary School for the 2012-13 school year. She is currently the assistant principal at Armstrong.
- The School Board appointed Quinn Wulbecker as principal of Link Elementary School for the 2012-13 school year. He is currently the assistant principal at Link.
- The School Board appointed Scott Ross as principal of Frost Junior High School for the 2012-13 school year. He is currently the assistant principal at Eisenhower.
- Board Member Bill Harper thanked everyone who came out during the summer to support the new principals being appointed.
- Board Member Mary Kay Prusnick attended the Professional Development Symposium. She was very impressed with the District 54 employees who presented.
- Board Member Barbara Hengels thanked all the senior volunteers in the Connecting Generations program.
- Hengels, Harper and Kegarise thanked Marty and Laura Nevel, whose children have all graduated from District 54, for their years of support to the district.
Adjournment: The Board adjourned at 8:10 p.m. to closed session for collective negotiating, employment/appointment and legal matters.