Please click here to view the Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting on January 20, 2011
Call to Order: The Board of Education meeting was called to order at 7 p.m.
The Board presented Ambassador for Excellence awards to four Eisenhower students and 16 Frost students who received trophies at the National Fluid Power Challenge at Harper College. The Board also recognized the 12 schools who received Academic Excellence Awards from the Illinois State Board of Education: Collins, Dirksen, Dooley, Fairview, Fox, Frost, Hale, Hoover, Lincoln Prairie, Link, Nerge and Stevenson.
Discussion – Elementary Social Science Materials Adoption:
The Social Science Task Force, a 20-member team of elementary teachers and administrators, developed the District 54 Social Science Essential Outcomes for early childhood through sixth grade. These outcomes serve as the comprehensive plan for all social science instruction in District 54. Our current social science programs do not align with our recently adopted essential outcomes. In addition, the last textbook adoption for the elementary social science program was in 1999. Therefore, the Department of Student Learning is recommending the School Board approve the purchase of the TCI – Social Studies Alive! program for kindergarten through fifth grade and the TCI – History Alive! program for sixth grade. Pending School Board approval of the purchase, professional development for elementary teachers and administrators will be conducted this spring.
Public Comment: No one asked to speak.
Freedom of Information Act Requests: District 54 received five requests since the last board meeting relating to school board candidate contact information, bids, the transportation contract, gymnasium light fixtures and roofing replacement and repair projects.
Consent Agenda: The School Board approved the following items on the Consent Agenda:
- Minutes of the regular board meeting on Jan. 20, 2011
- Minutes of the closed-session board meeting on Jan. 20, 2011
- Checks dated Jan. 28 and Feb. 11, 2011
- Resignations, leaves and employment of personnel
- Monthly update of revenues and expenditures for January 2011
- Treasurer’s Report on cash and investments for December 2010
- The purchase of elementary math manipulative kits from Wright Group/McGraw-Hill
- A contract for electrostatic painting of the hallway lockers at Keller
- A proclamation in honor of PTA Founders Day on Feb. 17
- The destruction of verbatim records of the closed-session board meeting on Aug. 13, 2009, for which approved minutes exist
- Resolutions expressing opposition to unfunded and underfunded state and federal mandates
- Superintendent’s Report: Superintendent Ed Rafferty announced that District 54 will be highlighting some of its best employees at a symposium for staff on June 15. He also thanked all staff who cleaned the parking lots and sidewalks during the winter storm.
- Report of the President of the Board of Education: President Karen Strykowski echoed Superintendent Rafferty’s thanks to staff and commended Frost for its display of student work in the board room.
- Foundation Report: Board Member Bill Harper reminded everyone to attend Mardi Gras on Feb. 18.
- PTA Report: PTA representative Mary Kay Prusnick thanked the board for honoring PTA Founders Day tonight and announced that information about the elementary scholarships and the Bonnie Greenberg scholarship for high school seniors is available online at http://pta.sd54.org.
- The Board awarded contracts for new gymnasium light fixture equipment and installation.
- The Board awarded a contract for facility improvements at 17 school locations.
- The Board awarded a contract for the construction of an elevator at Churchill.
- The Board awarded a contract for window replacement at seven schools.
- The Board approved a resolution abating the Working Cash Fund in the amount of $17,900,000.
- The Board approved revised board policy JHCD – Administering Medicine to Students.
- The Board had the first reading of new board policy JHCDD – Food Allergy Management Program
- Board President Karen Strykowski announced that the Kids at Hope Resource Fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 2 at the Hanover Park Park District gymnasium.
Adjournment: The Board adjourned at 7:50 p.m. to closed session to discuss student disciplinary cases and the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance or dismissal of specific employees of the public body.