Community Closet accepting donations
Posted by Terri McHugh on Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 at 12:24 pm
District 54’s Community Closet has been extremely busy this year and is always looking for additional donations of winter coats, hats and gloves for the families in need in our school community.
The Community Closet is a place where our families in need can visit to select free clothes for all members of their immediate family. Students cannot be expected to reach their full potential if their basic needs are not met.
The Closet is located in the basement of Addams Junior High School and is open to families two nights and one Saturday morning each month. Before visiting the Closet, families must obtain a voucher from their school social worker.
People may support the Community Closet in several ways:
- If you know of a District 54 family who could use some assistance, encourage them to talk to their school social worker.
- Donate gently used clothes, including spiritwear, shoes, coats and other outerwear. Clothing can be dropped off at any District 54 building during school hours or at the District Office, 524 E. Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Donate gift cards, cash or checks (payable to District 54) so that we may purchase new underwear and socks for the families.
- Organize a clothing drive with your own school, club or group and donate items to the Community Closet already washed and sorted by size and gender.
- Volunteers who wish to fold clothes or work shifts in the Community Closet should contact Kathy Canary (KathyCanary@sd54.org).
Student work day – Dec. 20
School-age children in the District 54 community can volunteer at the Closet on specific days during the year. We do not want the students who are shopping in the Closet to encounter their classmates. Therefore, we have set up specific days for children and teens to volunteer by sorting and folding clothing. Our next student work day is Dec. 20 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Parents or youth group leaders who are interested in working on that day, should contact Terri McHugh at TerriMcHugh@sd54.org.
Thank you for your support.